September: Healthy habit!
Dedicating time to self-care is super important, especially if you live a fast-paced life! One of the leading ways to destress and center yourself after a busy or mentally tough day is to utilize Meditation. Meditation is engaging in mental exercises, such as concentration on one breathing or repetition of a mantra, helping many to reach a healthy level of mindfulness. Meditation practices are different for everyone, and it is paramount to know that tailoring your practices to your needs is the first step to bettering your lifestyle.
Meditation can be anything from an hour-long session to a walk around your neighborhood, to a 5-minute breathing technique, or even journaling. Remember to put yourself, and what works for you, first.
Some scientifically proven benefits of meditation include:
- Stress reduction
- Decreasing anxiety
- Better emotional health
- Increasing mindfulness and self-awareness
- Improving sleep
- … and more!
Of the most common breathing techniques for meditation, ours are the Alternate-Nostril Breathing Technique and the Box Breathing Technique.
- Close your pointer and middle finger into your palm leaving your thumb, ring finger, and pinky out.
- Close your eyes, inhale, and exhale to begin.
- Close one nostril with your thumb leaving the other open. Inhale through the open nostril.
- Close that nostril with your ring and pinky fingers and open the other while exhaling.
- Repeat alternating inhalations and exhalations through opposite nostrils.
- Inhale for a count of four.
- Hold that for a count of four.
- Exhale for a count of four.
You can follow a guided meditation, listen to a podcast, or your favorite songs on your playlist! Listed below are some popular meditation tracks that we love and recommend! If you listen to these tracks or utilize these breathing techniques, be sure to tag us!